Saturday, August 27, 2011

Lush is lush

It's undeniable that Lush is prolific. I also think he is cool. I believe it's a widely held opinion yet when I declare it publicly there is frequently a strong sentiment in the other direction, like "Lush is a *tool*" or "fuck i *hate* Lush". That he evokes such emotion confirms for me that he is an artist (and is cool). His mediums are Lushness and Controversy. I am still pondering the eternal "what is art?" and I just reckon at this stage that it happens between the creative act and the viewers response. These pictures - I am not even certain are lush as someone has told me he is in LA. I will do a part 2 to this blog complete with links and a range of Lush works, in the meantime, waddya reckon? Is it him? Lush Cat obviously yes but the rest ? Regardless I am loving it!

3 comments:

David said...

Nice post :) I'd never actually known who did alllll those cats (certainly prolific!), but I really dig his stuff

peter said...

lush is very cool and talented artist, not to be judged at first sight. i loved the stuff around the place before his show at backwoods last year, and am not surprised to hear he is away at the moment. his stuff can be also found here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mercyfulfate/

Unknown said...

Thanks for your insights Peter, I totally agree. I think the judgement is really the mark of his work because he just puts it out there, and if you take the time to look and think, it can make you really smile.